Monday, September 28, 2009

my goal? a shitty first draft

"Perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor, the enemy of the people. It will keep you cramped and insane your whole life, and it is the main obstacle between you and a shitty first draft."
-Anne Lamott

It's that simple. My goal is a shitty first draft. One year from now, a shitty first draft.

what I have so far:
1. a title- Foster Princess
2. a solid outline
3. old material-scenes and some exposition, spanning all time periods and placements in my life; I'm now organizing this material into the new structure.
4. concepts and beginnings of two parallel art projects to help understand and organize the chaos- as I go.
5. external structure- a writing class starting in two weeks: which means deadlines (https://lighthousewriters.org/workshop/detail/id/251/), and this blog
6. two short term goals- draft one chapter by Oct 13th, the first day of my upcoming class and blog twice a week.
7. a mid-range project goal- one year from now (September 29, 2010) a shitty first draft of Foster Princess.

There are plenty of things I don't have (like my case records, requested from two entities almost three years ago). But I don't want to focus on that yet.

This blog is the making of Foster Princess from the inside out.
This blog is my boss, insofar as goals made public.
This blog is my antidote to perfectionism, just one of the obstacles between me and my shitty first draft.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Foster Princess Blog by Leigh Ecke is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.